Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Site Updates; Greenbush Ceremony; Vandalism; and so forth

(Originally Posted February 13, 2007)

You may have noticed the slimmer logo above. This is a preview of the excitement that's building behind the scenes here at TransitHistory, as I'm working hard on the long-awaited "full" launch of TransitHistory, complete with new blogs, a newsroom, advertising, and the very first Boston Transit eMuseum exhibit. These things are still several days away from implementation, but tomorrow's stowstorm should help give me time to work in it, provided I don't lose power.
In other news, I was lucky enough to attend the Greenbush "Golden Spike" ceremony last week. Aside from drinking Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate and eating several DD donuts at MBTA expense, I got to watch as the transit big wigs of Boston each claimed a bit of personal responsibility for the new Commuter Rail line, which will open "this year." It was a neat little ceremony, held in Braintree where the line splits from the rest of the Old Colony network. We had to park in Weymouth, and were then shuttled by MBTA bus to the undisclosed location, where two engines and a large white tent were set up. Inside, various members of the media, dignitaries, invited guests, and myself watched the speaking portion of the program.

I filmed the whole thing, but YouTube wouldn't let me upload it since it's "too long", though it is only 30 minutes from the first fluff piece to the driving of the golden spikes. (The latter was the most entertaining part, as the Lt. Governor threatened to swing his spike-driver-tool (sorry I'm blanking on the official term) at the rest of the dignitaries. I'll try and at least get that up soon.)

Also of note is the "freebie" they gave out, which is the real reason why I attend these ceremonies: a black-painted railroad spike with "GREENBUSH 2007...." printed in generic type on one side. Both the most unique and the most lame freebie I've gotten yet.

In still other news, last weekend the local media (th included) hyped a convergence of vandals upon the city of Boston. Transit Police were on high alert, and actually busted a few creeps driving around in Braintree who allegedly tagged several subway cars at Forest Hills. The common excuse for graffiti art is that it's "public art" and freedom of speech, but take it from an artist: it isn't. Tagging a subway car or other transit property only ends up costing the fare-paying riders and taxpayers of Massachusetts. If I had to pay to view art, I'd rather go to a gallery.

No comments:

Layout By Blogcrowds